IN A HURRY? CHECK OUT Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Cat Food TOP PROS:
- Keeps kittens growing bodies strong and full of energy
- The perfect type of diet for the cat’s digestive tract
- Extremely good taste
Cat diet has become a complex science to which we often pay attention. So we are frequently asked what is the best cat food for kittens, which we’ll cover in the following review.
All products featured on Cat Travel Guide are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission.
- BEFORE YOU BUY: 5 Things to think twice about when you are searching for the best food for your kitties
- Best cat food for kittens
- How to put probiotics in your kitten’s food?
- What’s the difference? Cat food for kittens vs. cat food for grown-ups?
- Our reasons for choosing our best cat food for the kittens
Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Cat Food
||Check on Amazon|
Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Dry Kitten Food
||Check on Amazon|
Meow Mix Dry Cat Food Original
||Check on Amazon|
ROYAL CANIN FELINE HEALTH NUTRITION Mother & Babycat dry cat food
||Check on Amazon|
Instinct Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe with Real Chicken Natural Dry Cat Food by Nature’s Variety
||Check on Amazon|
Your kittens’ diet affects many factors relevant to your pets’ development and can significantly determine their health, the quality of life and which habits they develop.
There is a huge number of quality products on cat food for the kittens market, and our first choice is Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Cat Food.
We’ll review four other best cat foods for kittens and compare their advantages to other food for young kitties and food for grown cats.
In the beginning, there was almost nothing for our readers, except the need for quality kitten food, so let’s start by discussing some cat food for kittens buying tips:
BEFORE YOU BUY: 5 Things to think twice about when you are searching for the best food for your kitties
Essentially there are many differences in food for kittens available on the market.
We have selected several sets of advice to consider before you decide on one product or for one of the manufacturers of food for your kittens.
You must be prepared to pay attention to the smallest detail, that’s the only way to know what the right thing, or in this case food, for your kittens is.
1. How old is your kitty exactly?
It is very important to know how old your kitten really is when buying the new food or, more importantly, when buying pre-prepared food for the first time.
We recommend paying attention to whether your kitten is up to four months old because there are special diet regimes for kittens until that age.
When your pet is four months old, make sure that you are buying the food that is for cats up to one year old.
Even though you will always love them with the same intensity as when they were small, your kittens become adults after one year of age.
2. What is the food for my kitty consisted of?
Be careful in case your pet has any problems with allergies to any kind of food. It’s possible that some manufacturers use some kind of food in their products which do not suit your pet.
When we say some food is not suitable for your kittens, we primarily think that certain food content adversely affects the vision, quality of hair, general physical or mental development.
If you do not find any potentially risky ingredient on the food content, then be sure that it is exactly what your kittens will adore and which will be healthy for them too!
3. Pay attention to your kitten’s breed!
Keep your kitten’s breed in mind. Nutrition rules do not apply equally to all breed of cats.
Thus, for example, some breeds are not bothered by eating grain even from an early age.
While a large number of cats have a problem with that type of food even in older age. That is when they grow up and become real small predators.
4. There are healthy foods for your kittens, but are they willing to eat it?
We learned that vets are often our best friends. Also, we can find information about foods that are very healthy for your kittens. But what if they won’t eat it?
It is quite normal that each cat doesn’t want to eat what’s best for her. We have to learn to balance food intake.
In other words, we must make sure that our kitty eats what’s healthy for her as much as possible, but we also have to buy her the food she enjoys.
Mixing healthy and delicious is usually the best solution for your kitten’s diet. The price of cat food for kittens isn’t always the guarantee for the quality of nutrition!
Prices of pet food can be very different. As for many other things, the most expensive product is not necessarily the best and the healthiest for your kittens.
Often the most expensive products contain the same ingredients as much cheaper ones. This means that cheaper products can be a lot better and useful to you and your pets.
But, like everything else, price of food for your kittens is a factor which requires detailed analysis, so we recommend consulting with your vet when considering changing your pet’s diet or when switching manufacturer of pets food, as well as when buying food for your kittens for the first time!
5. It may be the right moment to start thinking about your kitten’s health!
Ok, we’ve got it! Some pets are eating junk food, as do we, and they like it the most!
But you must be aware, that kind of food isn’t perfect, neither for you or your kitties.
Ask for advice when buying adequate food for your kittens. There is no bad time for your pet to start eating healthy.
In the sea of advice about suitable cat food, choose the one that sounds the most sensible.
You will know that you bought good food in the way your kitten plays, how it behaves, and how happy and satisfied it is.
This intro maybe sounds so cool and determined, so you don’t need the list of the best cat food for kittens.
But we are here to bring it to you, minutely and without any kind of sympathy for those who don’t like cats!
The 5 Best cat food for kittens 2019
After detailed analysis, we concluded that Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Cat Food is the ideal food for your kitten.
When your kitty turns four months, it’s no longer a baby but a small child, it needs all nutritious and healthy ingredients.
Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Cat Food represents a real revolution on cat food for the kittens market precisely because of the perfect blend of proteins, fibers, and other necessary probiotics.
Manufactures of this food paid special attention to the chewiness of the food, so your little kitten will have no problem getting used to Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Cat Food.
You can relax; this kibble food will take care of your kitten’s mouth health, as well as its gums, tongue, and teeth.
It contains only 16% of fats, and if you look closer at the ingredients, you’ll see that Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Cat Food is based on chicken meat, fish oil, and brown rice and egg products.
But, numerous vitamins and supplements are what makes this cat food for kittens great!
The perfect way to feed your kittens with this product is simple. If your little predator is 4-6 months old, just give him ¾ of a cup, and after that period you can feed him with a smaller portion.
Or keep it big, if your little creature is always hungry.
The shape and size of the small kibble are adapted to the age of your pets, with particular attention to taste.
Your kittens will adore the taste of this food, and in favor of this the manufacturers point out that they guarantee with 100% that your pets will love this kind of food.
- Keeps kittens growing bodies strong and full of energy
- The perfect type of diet for the cat’s digestive tract
- Extremely good taste
- Not too much, some of the reviewers complain that the package doesn’t last as long as the manufacturer specified.
Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Kitten Dry Cat Food is a great product for everyone who cares about the quality of its pet’s life.
It is very healthy and your kittens will figure out why this delicious product is the best cat food for kittens.
If you want to get only top results for your kittens, give them the effect that Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Dry Kitten Food provides.
What makes this product so special? This is one really good mixture of chicken meat, fish oil, animal fats, vitamins and proteins that are very important for the entire development process of your favorite animals.
This is no magic, yet food that will strengthen the muscle mass of your kittens.
It achieves the best results in the field of vision since the ingredients are carefully selected to improve the sharpness and clarity of your cats’ vision.
This cat food for kittens contains a well-balanced level of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
If you found this distraction as an unnecessary one, you are very bit wrong! DHA is one of the most necessary nutrients for your kittens, and vet experts call it the good fat and the brain booster.
What is the most important fact about DHA, we can find it in natural breast milk, and it is dedicated to the group of Omega 3 fatty acids. And that’s rockin’ amazing!
The crunchy kibble of this product is very seductive and do not doubt whether the taste and shape of this feline food will appeal to your pet.
Manufacturers have made sure that the shape of the kibble is beneficial. It protects the gums and whitens teeth of your beauty.
It will delight you how your kitten will be quick and lively if you use Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Dry Kitten Food.
- Contains DHA, which is great for you kittens’ eyesight and keeps its muscle system in the body great
- Real chicken meat is the elementary ingredient
- It is not an expensive cat food for kittens, but still is one of the best
- It contains whole grain corn. And we still can’t realize what for exact corn is good during the kittenhood.
Do not let the price of this product deceive you, and cause you not to try it.
We are guided by the idea that Purina ONE Healthy Kitten Formula Dry Kitten Food must be at the top of your selection of the best food for kittens.
This product will take care of the health of the muscle and nervous system of your cat, and will give it an even better vision, which to the cats, you will agree, is always necessary.
Here’s another product that can boast with exceptionally high content quality.
Manufacturers of Meow Mix Dry Cat Food Original have tried to put in this package everything that is of great importance for the development of your kittens.
What places this product rightfully among the best cat food for kittens are essential nutrients and minerals your kitty needs every day?
Meow Mix Dry Cat Food Original is very good for the development of bones and muscle mass. This food is rich in Calcium, Phosphorus and Vitamin E.
This product also represents a true mix of meat which includes turkey meal, beef meal, chicken meal, salmon meal, and ocean fish meal. What a paradise for each kitten’s taste!
Now you can be sure that you will have a great connection with your favorite pet.
If you decide to feed your kitten with this food, be sure that it will not have any problems with Iron deficiency. So, this food for kittens is rich in minerals such as ferrous sulfates.
This great kitten’s food mix is a frequent choice of many cat lovers because it is very cheap, and in price to quality ratio, it is placed as the right choice for your kittens.
Everything you have ever read and learned about how to feed kittens in the developmental period, you will find exactly in this mix.
A high content of high-quality proteins that are packaged in every bite guarantees that your kitten will indeed act as the main person!
- Low price, you can afford 16lbs of this kitten’s food for less than $12.00
- It contains high-quality proteins and healthy minerals
- Helps in supporting a long, healthy kitten’s life
- The smallest package there is 6.3 lbs, which is pretty massive for one test package
As much as you search for a good explanation for not having tried this food yet, we think it’s worthless.
The price, a variety of different types of animal meat, and a perfectly balanced mix of minerals and proteins are a good reason to honor your kittens with Meow Mix Dry Cat Food Original.
Well, here we are, in front of you is one of the best foods on the market for baby cats! It contains all the essential minerals, vitamins, and proteins that your pets need.
ROYAL CANIN FELINE HEALTH NUTRITION Mother & Babycat dry cat food will help the proper development of your kitten’s digestive tract thanks to the probiotic effect of its ingredients.
This popular package includes DHA to build a strong foundation for brain development.
There is no better food than this for the kitten’s immune system, which is in the most urgent period from the first to the fourth month of age.
In this time, the kitten develops some of the diseases, such as digestive problems or problems with the development of muscles and nerves.
That’s why this product contains an excellent antioxidant and vitamin complex, which will help your little kitten stay healthy and strong.
Kibbles are small, very easy to eat and your kittens will not have any problems to chew them.
What’s great, these kibbles will help the kitten when switching from breast milk to normal foods.
The most important thing to note is that ROYAL CANIN FELINE HEALTH NUTRITION Mother & Babycat dry cat food is not a substitute for breast milk.
This product is ideal for kittens aged from one to four months, as well as for queen cats (cats or babies cats with nursing baby cats).
- It is the perfect food for very young kitties
- Contains DHA, the most important component for kitten’s brain development
- Feeding your queen cats and little kittens with it at the same time
- Not many, but there are some commentators who complain about the uneven quality.
This product is the perfect food for a month to four-month-old kittens. They’ll adore ROYAL CANIN FELINE HEALTH NUTRITION Mother & Babycat dry cat food after mother’s milk.
You certainly won’t have problems with your kittens. Just look at this beautiful mix of proteins and vitamins in this food.
With full rights, ROYAL CANIN FELINE HEALTH NUTRITION Mother & Babycat dry cat food is one of the best kittens on the market!
5. Instinct Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe with Real Chicken Natural Dry Cat Food by Nature’s Variety
The secret of the quality of this food lies in the first four ingredients of the Instinct Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe with Real Chicken Natural Dry Cat Food by Nature’s Variety.
It is packed with chicken, turkey meal, salmon meal, and menhaden fish meal.
What does that exactly mean? That’s a fine combination of 81% real meat ingredients and many quality types of oil.
There are also a lot of delicious vegetables. That’s vital information for your kitten’s energy to grow and play.
This food contains very important probiotics, which enable quality digestive system work. What is most important, this product enables very fast metabolism and a strong immune system.
Just imagine how important this is for a kitten that has not yet reached its full strength!
This phenomenal product is rich with Omegas, and they are always great for soft fur and healthy skin of your dearest kitty-pets!
You will not find any signs of potato, corn and other ingredients that are unnecessary for kitten’s health. It is also made without grain, wheat or artificial colors.
It’s rich in protein and it will have a great effect on your kittens.
One of the most important advantages of this cat food is that it is recommended for those kittens who are just stopping to drink breast milk, as well as for those older kittens who are already “big guys” and are already in their fifth month of life.
The amount of intake, naturally, is not the same for both categories, but the useful properties are equally applicable.
- Contains high-quality real animal ingredients
- Good choice for all kitten’s age
- Made without potatoes and corn
- Often has a sharp smell.
Do not think your kitty is overly preoccupied if she likes Instinct Original Kitten Grain-Free Recipe with Real Chicken Natural Dry Cat Food by Nature’s Variety.
And we can only advise you to buy one more pack of her favorite food.
How to put probiotics in your kitten’s food?
Our kittens, unfortunately, aren’t perfect beings. There are some diseases like diarrhea, other kinds of stomach problems, etc.
Very often, our kittens are throwing up. And all of that is too stressful for us.
We noticed that diarrhea and stomach problems are more and more common causes for reporting to our veterinarians!
So we are looking for cat food for the kittens with those kinds of problems.
Then you’ll realize that one of the best products for kitten’s diarrhea is probiotics, which works wonders for your little pets!
Here is the best way for putting them into her/his favorite dish!
- Fill your kitten’s cup with food “little princess” adore, but be sure that she didn’t notice what are you doing!
- Now get your probiotics against diarrhea and hide it in the middle of her favorite cup of the best cat food for the kittens. Check once more that she/he didn’t notice your “dirty job”!
- After kitten’s plate is full of delicious food, and have probiotics inside, call your kitty for dinner!
- Now move from the spot where you usually feed her/him, and the job is almost done.
- After the meal, be with your kitty all the time. Sometimes, just one probiotic is enough for your pet to surmount the disease. You’ll see how she’s playing with favorite toys if everything is alright with her little stomach.
In every other case, call the vet, or get your pet in the vet ambulance! Stomach problems aren’t something your kittens like, they are small and a lack of water in that tiny body can be fatal.
What’s the difference? Cat food for kittens vs. Cat food for grown-ups?
Yes, we are aware of the fact that vendors often push some products that are not designed for your kitten due to different ages.
It’s clear to us how the economy works. Everything produced has to be sold.
However, we will draw your attention to the basic differences in the food you buy with cats, as well as the one you buy with adult cats.
Cat food for the kittens
It is important to realize that the kittens that are a month old do not eat the same food as kittens that are almost a year old.
Our advice is to always take care of the most vital things. Of course, we all want our kittens to have beautiful hair, beautiful skin, nice posture, proper eye shape and so on.
But, for kittens in the development phase, the most important thing is to grow without difficulty. And of course, someone to always pet them and play with them.
But to make a clear distinction between baby food and adult cats, we present foods that you must pay attention to when selecting a cat food for your kittens who have just begun eating food.
- Don’t feed your kittens cow’s milk – that would be a great intro for horrible diarrhea. Your small pets are completely lactose-intolerant, and such small kittens can dehydrate quickly.
- Look for food with DHA – that’s what they eat in mother’s milk, also
- Pay attention to proteins – there are some proteins your kitten must eat if you want a healthy and happy pet
- Food which includes natural ingredients, like chicken or fish meal, they are very important for their growth
- Ensure three healthy meals a day for your small kitty
- Look for the food that contains more proteins and fats than the adults’ cat food have
- Kittens burn calories much faster than older cats
- Kittens shouldn’t be switched to an adult formula until twelve months of age. Don’t be so sure your kitten adores mom’s food if she/he is still under one year of age. Be patient with adults’ cat food.
Cat food for grown-up cats
People make mistakes when they think their cats can eat whatever they want in an adult period. Their body is strong and big now.
They are more durable now and can overtake many diseases much easier than kittens, but still, you should be very careful.
We created for you a short list about feeding your grown-up cats, with special attention for the difference between cat food for kittens and cat food for adult cats.
- After your cat pet is older than one year, she needs something stronger and more specifically
- Dry food could be the perfect food for your big cat, but be aware when you want to feed your kittens with that kind of nutrition
- Your bigger pets now can eat more products with corn, beans or potatoes. Remember, those ingredients aren’t so good for your kittens
- Listen to your cat’s gestures, take care of her food, be her ally
- Ok, we all want happy and satisfied pets, but you must take care of their diet, it’s okay when they eat healthily
- Don’t forget that cats are carnivores and that their body simply needs quality proteins which are found in meat
- When they are grown-up, cats need more carbohydrates and vitamins
- Kittenhood is over, they don’t need to eat too many fats, but be careful, they must eat fatty food sometimes.
Our reasons for choosing our best cat food for the kittens
The above-described cat foods for the kittens are chosen as a mix of different reasons.
Our first impression was dedicated to the customers’ reviews and how effective some kind of cat food for the kittens is in kittenhood.
And of course, how this food reflecting on kitten’s happiness and life-quality!
We considered the prices, the shape of kibbles, the intensity of smell, taste (based on our pet’s impressions, of course), quality of ingredients and about one hundred other pet-lovers factors.
Did we help you? We would be happy if you learned something new about the best cat food for kittens. Do you have a favorite kitten’s food, or have you tried any on our list?
As always, we’d love to hear from you and welcome your comments and suggestions, ASAP!